[Mailman-Users] Messages discarded by ISP

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun May 21 03:26:17 CEST 2006

John W. Baxter wrote:

>On 5/20/06 4:46 PM, "Antonio Dragone" <dragone_se at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have configured a mail server with Sendmail on my office and mails are sent
>> fine.
>>
>> I'm using MailMan to send a newsletter to a test list of five people, one from
>> hotmail, one from gmail, one from yahoo and two from my ISP (including my
>> address).

Presumably, Mailman is sending via the same Sendmail server.

>> The newsletter is sent fine to all of the recipients (I've checked sendmail
>> queue) but for some reason my ISP is discarding the message for their
>> addresses (hotmail, gmail and yahoo are working fine).
>>
>> I suspect the problem is related to the headers sent by MailMan because when I
>> send the newsletter directly from my mail client trough my office server, it
>> is received without problems (the only difference between the one sent by
>> MailMan and the one sent by my mail client is the headers).

And the envelope.

>They might not like
>From: <your address with them> coming with the  envelope sender.

I just want to emphasize this. When you send via your mail client, the
message is From: you and the envelope is most likely from you, but
when you post to your list and Mailman sends, the message is still
From: you (assuming you don't have an anonymous list), but the
envelope is from <listname>-bounces at list.domain.

Your ISP may well decide that a message purportedly from you at your.isp
sent by some other domain is forged.