[Mailman-Users] Emails Not Being Delivered to All on List

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Nov 1 03:45:20 CET 2006

At 8:18 PM -0600 10/31/06, Bruce E. Breeding wrote:

>  "The drawback of this configuration is that it will work poorly on
>  systems supporting lists in several different mail domains.

How, exactly?  Turning off DNS verification within the MTA, *ONLY*
for outgoing e-mail from the mailing list server, should speed up all
lists on the server regardless of which domain they are hosted on.

>                                                              While
>  Mailman handles virtual domains, it does not yet support having
>  two distinct lists with the same name in different virtual domains,
>  using the same Mailman installation.

True, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the issue of turning
off DNS verification within the MTA.

>  Our mailservers are currently configured for optimal performance
>  with mailman,

If he's doing DNS verification on mail that is outbound from the
mailing list server, then it most definitely is *NOT* optimally
configured.

>                this is all integrated by the Cpanel Program which
>  is used to configure all domains."

Ahh, there's the key.  He's totally freaking clueless, which explains
why he's using cPanel.  So, he's spouting some complete garbage that
is totally unrelated to the actual subject being discussed.  We can't
really blame him for this, since he just doesn't know any better.

But you do know better, at least now you do.  And you can use this
information to guide you in your choice of a new hosting provider
that will actually be more clueful.

>  Would you comment on this?  Is there some misinformation here?

Yeah, it's pretty much all misinformation.

>  I'm only a poor user (can you hear the violins playing?)   I just
>  need a reliable email list ... free of course (not too picky, huh?)
>  I know I'm not his only user of mailman (making me wonder why his
>  other customers aren't complaining)...

Maybe they are complaining and you don't hear about it, or maybe they
don't know what they could be getting and are willing to just settle
for what they think is all they can get.

But now you know better.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad at shub-internet.org>

Trend Micro has announced that they will cancel the stop.mail-abuse.org
mail forwarding service as of 15 November 2006.  If you have an old
e-mail account for me at this domain, please make sure you correct that
with the current address.