[Mailman-Users] Unexpected Listname When Creating New List

John W. Baxter jwblist3 at olympus.net
Fri Nov 3 03:41:32 CET 2006

On 10/27/06 6:17 PM, "Jon Forrest" <forrest at ce.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>> Are you sure your postfix aliases for Mailman are case sensitive. I
>> doubt it. Try mailing to test at mailman.example.com and
>> Test at mailman.example.com. I suspect both messages will get posted to
>> the list.
>
> You are 100% right. I did NOT know this!! All these years
> of misinformation...

The current situation is that the local parts are not case sensitive almost
everywhere, but CAN be.  (Exim, for example, has a little-used option to
create case-sensitivity.  I don't speak Postfix, but a quick look at
"Postfix, The Definitive Guide" didn't show me an equivalent option.)

So (most) MTAs are stuck preserving case, particularly on messages relayed
to other MTAs, but comparing all lower case.  This seemingly was a political
thing in the mail standards meetings--there were still enough case-sensitive
sites to keep the status quo.

  --John