[Mailman-Users] Can't send messages to list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Nov 3 21:43:49 CET 2006

Lukasz Szybalski wrote:

>After placing a bug report in debian, i have been given two files to
>make debug information work.
>
>"replacements for /usr/lib/python2.3/smtplib.py
>and /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Logging/Utils.py that will enable
>smtplib-debugging to work (you still have to patch SMTPDirect.py) "

I have looked at the bug report and the two files. I now see I was
mistaken in that I was all along looking at the Python 2.4 smtplib.py.
It turns out that Python 2.3 smtplib.py does write debug output to
stdout, not stderr which explains why you weren't seeing it.

>Long story short. I replaced these files, removed pyc and pyo and
>suddenly everything works like magic again. No more timeouts.
>I'll try to get originals back in place and see how that works. I'll
>keep you posted.

The change to Logging/Utils.py only affects logging of stderr, thus I
wouldn't expect this to affect the original issue.

It would be interesting to see the differences between the original
smtplib.py (now named smtplib.py.1) and the replacement. Do they only
add "import sys" and replace "print" with "print >> sys.stderr,", or
are there other changes. If there are no other changes, I am guessing
that the real problem is some kind of corruption in the .pyc or .pyo
files that you deleted.