[Mailman-Users] spam, spamcop and mailman moderation

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Nov 11 03:37:27 CET 2006

At 9:07 AM -0800 11/10/06, Dragon wrote:

>  This begs the question, why can you NOT afford to filter some lists?

You must not recognize the name.  Gadi is not quite as well known in
the security field as Bruce Schneier, but he's close.

I recognize the name, and I understand the pain that Gadi is going
through.  He's running some mailing lists (many of which are
private/by-invitation-only, I'm sure), where people discuss a variety
of security-related topics, including things like botnet infections,
the types of messages that the botnet members will send out, etc....

In other words, a great deal of the content of certain lists would
look pretty much exactly like spam to a dumb tool like SpamAssassin,
because it *is* spam.  Well, it's actually a discussion *about* spam,
with real-world examples.

The real problem here is how do you run a mailing list system where
Internet security professionals with twenty or thirty years of
experience can get together and intelligently discuss a variety of
subjects (including spam), while being able to protect that list
against modern types of abuse.

I'm not sure you can do that with the typical types of "dumb" tools
that are normally discussed on mailing lists like this.  SpamAssassin
(or something like it) is more than enough for 99.99999% of the
people out there, but if you really are one of those "beyond six
sigma" types, what do you do?

>  I've found that since we implemented gray-listing and spam-assassin
>  and ClamAV on my server, I get maybe one Spam mail slipping through
>  to mailman each month. Most times, it is completely spam-free and the
>  only moderation request I get are for members trying to post to a
>  member's only list from an alternative e-mail address.

That's great, and you're ahead of 99% of the rest of the people on
this list.  The problem is that Gadi is so far beyond that level that
you don't even know his name.

Hell, I'm not sure that I can come up to his level, but I do at least
recognize his name and the sort of problem that I'm pretty sure he's
facing.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad at shub-internet.org>

Trend Micro has announced that they will cancel the stop.mail-abuse.org
mail forwarding service as of 15 November 2006.  If you have an old
e-mail account for me at this domain, please make sure you correct that
with the current address.