[Mailman-Users] spam, spamcop and mailman moderation

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Nov 11 03:57:55 CET 2006

At 9:40 AM -0800 11/10/06, Dragon wrote:

>  True, and there will always be an arms race between spammers and
>  those of us who run servers to try to protect ourselves from unwanted junk.

Yup.

>  But certain approaches are still quite effective and we should still
>  be utilizing them when appropriate. Hopefully, the good guys will be
>  able to keep ahead of the technology curve to put the screw to the bad guys.

Speaking as one of the "good guys", I can tell you that we are losing
the war.  I've written a series of articles to be published on the
LOPSA.ORG website on the current state-of-the-art with regards to
fighting spam, and I can tell you that it's not pretty.

The bad guys keep getting more and more resources that they can
casually throw at any problem, and we keep getting pushed further and
further into the corner on the defenses that exist and which can be
employed.

We're losing, and we're losing badly.  And the situation is only
going to get a lot worse.  Right now, most of the possible solutions
I've seen have been as bad or worse than the disease.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad at shub-internet.org>

Trend Micro has announced that they will cancel the stop.mail-abuse.org
mail forwarding service as of 15 November 2006.  If you have an old
e-mail account for me at this domain, please make sure you correct that
with the current address.