[Mailman-Users] Temporary local problem - please try later

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Nov 13 04:56:17 CET 2006

At 8:43 PM -0700 11/12/06, J.R. Constance wrote:

>  I have something like 180000 lines in the failure log either with
>  this 451 error or with s. Any idea what could be causing this?

I've been using Unix and the Internet for over twenty-two years, a
professional Unix system administrator for over seventeen years, and
specializing in managing Internet e-mail systems for over fourteen
years.

Congratulations, this is a first -- I don't recall having ever seen
this particular error message before in my life.  And at this stage
in my career, I don't get too many of those.

This is almost certainly a problem in your local MTA, where Mailman
is unable to hand off messages to the mail server for some reason.

What MTA are you using -- is it Exim?  How is that configured?  Have
you checked the MTA logs, to see what it says about this issue?  Have
you checked to make sure that your DNS is configured correctly?

Have you checked the relevant FAQ entries regarding MTA problems and
non-delivery issues?

Have you checked your MTA configuration to make sure that it is
turning off all anti-spam/anti-virus checks for all outbound
messages, as suggested in the FAQ?  If you can't do that, can you at
least confirm that your anti-virus scanning system is working
properly?

--
Brad Knowles, <brad at shub-internet.org>

Trend Micro has announced that they will cancel the stop.mail-abuse.org
mail forwarding service as of 15 November 2006.  If you have an old
e-mail account for me at this domain, please make sure you correct that
with the current address.