[Mailman-Users] Mailman newbie installation problems on virtualserver

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Nov 22 03:17:20 CET 2006

Ken McMahon wrote:

>I've set up a VirtualHost as follows:
>
><VirtualHost mailman.lookaroundcornwall.com>
>ServerName mailman.lookaroundcornwall.com
>ServerAdmin mailman.lookaroundcornwall.com
>DocumentRoot /home/mailman
>ScriptAlias /mailman /home/mailman/cgi-bin
>Alias /pipermail /home/mailman/archives/public
></VirtualHost>
>
>And added a cname record to the lookaroundcornwall.com zone file pointing
>mailman.lookaroundcornwall.com to lookaroundcornwall.com
>
>I've setup a test list, and added the aliases generated to
>/usr/local/etc/mail/aliases, then run newaliases.
>
>I receive the confirmation email with the password and links to the web
>config and user pages -
>
>You can configure your mailing list at the following web page:
>
>    http://mailman.lookaroundcornwall.com/mailman/admin/testlist
>
>The web page for users of your mailing list is:

>But, these pages don't exist.

Why not?

There should be CGI wrappers in /home/mailman/cgi-bin which is where
Apache will look for them given the above config. Is that where they
are?

>I think, (probably incorrectly, given I don't really know what I'm doing)
>that the problem may lie in the /usr/local/home/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py
>file. On the ISP advice, I've changed DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and
>DEFAULT-URL_HOST as follows

You shouldn't change Defaults.py. You should override things in
mm_cfg.py. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.021.htp>.

>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'lookaroundcornwall.com'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lookaroundcornwall.com'
>DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://mailman.%s/mailman/'

This probably isn't right. It looks like DEFAULT_URL_HOST should be
'mailman.lookaroundcornwall.com' and DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN should be
'http://%s/mailman/'.

This should be set in mm_cfg.py with

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'lookaroundcornwall.com'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'mailman.lookaroundcornwall.com'
DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

And then the list updated with fix_url. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.029.htp>
and
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.069.htp>