[Mailman-Users] Threading for integration with message board

Robert Hsiung dr-bob at uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 5 01:41:58 CEST 2006

At 12:21 PM -0700 10/2/06, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>Mailman's archives are threaded based on the Message-ID: of one post
>being in either the In-Reply-To: or References: header (or both) of a
>subsequent post.
>
>This is an incomplete solution fo a number of reasons including:
>
>1) Not all MUAs include either a In-Reply-To: or References: header in
>replies.
>
>2) People 'hijack' threads by creating a new post as a reply to a
>previously received post.
>
>3) Replies to posts in 'plain' format digests won't be threaded even if
>they have a proper Subject:.
>
>4) A direct recipient of a post which is delayed in reaching the list
>can post a reply which reaches the list before the original. In this
>case the reply isn't threaded even after the original arrives.

Thanks for all the responses!

#1 could be addressed by embedding, as I described, the message
number in the original Reply-To: header, because then you could count
on it being included in the To: header of replies.

#2 isn't a software issue, threads are "hijacked" on message boards, too.

#3 could be addressed by having separate digests for each thread, but
I know, that could be a lot of digests. IMO, if people didn't want to
deal with lots of email, the thing to do would be to switch to the
message board.  :-)

#4 seems like it would be easy to fix, since you know the posts
belong together and which came first.

OK, I can get my message board to "be a mailing list" as far as
sending out posts by email to selected members. So I'll probably just
go with that. But it won't have Mailman's features, which as far as
user options seem to be:

* ack
* not metoo
* nodupes
* digest
* plain
* language

Is it possible to get Mailman to insert a variable "+detail" in the
Reply-To headers? If so, I could use my threading system and Mailman
both...

--

At 12:26 PM +0900 10/3/06, <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

>I've heard rumors that there's a Perl module on CPAN implementing
>Jamie's algorithm.

Thanks for the tip. In fact, there are two, the latter possibly based
on the former:

Mail::Thread
Perl implementation of JWZ's mail threading algorithm
Mail-Thread-2.5 - 27 May 2004 - Simon Cozens
http://search.cpan.org/author/SIMON/Mail-Thread-2.5/Thread.pm

Email::Thread
Use JWZ's mail threading algorithm with Email::Simple objects
Email-Thread-0.71 - 21 Jul 2006 - Ricardo SIGNES
http://search.cpan.org/author/RJBS/Email-Thread-0.71/lib/Email/Thread.pm

I'm not sure how I'd use them to maintain threading in an ongoing
way, however. I can feed them a bunch of messages and they can thread
them, but I don't think I'd want to redo that every time a new
message came in...

--

At 11:19 PM -0400 10/3/06, Jeff Donsbach wrote:

>Mail2Forum might give you a good start -
>
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/m2f/

Thanks, but I don't think I want to switch to a different forum
(Mail2Forum seems to work with only phpBB, at least right now)...

Bob