[Mailman-Users] Cron gate_news

Ki Song ki at knifecenter.com
Fri Oct 6 23:02:14 CEST 2006

> Ki Song wrote:
>
>> Scratch the last comment. Apparently, the config.pck and other pck files are
>> recreated every time the cron runs. The problem is that when this file is
>> recreated, the permissions are such that mailman cannot modify that file.
>> For example, my config.pck file for all the lists on my mailman server are
>> automatically created with permissions with user apache. However, mailman is
>> not an authorized owner.
>>
>> What should I do? Should I try and make the config.pck file default to
>> mailman ownership?
>

> Mailman's access permissions are based on group, not user. Everything
> should be group owned by 'mailman', and the group should have read and
> write permission, and the crontab should be installed for user
> 'mailman' which should be in the 'mailman' group so that the cron jobs
> run as group mailman. Whether the user who owns files is mailman or
> root or apache or some combination of these and others should be
> irrelevant.
>
> See <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node9.html>.

I ran check perms and there were no problems found.

The cron directory within the $prefix directory has several files. All files
are owned by the mailman group.

The lists directory has directories of all the lists that are currently
running on this install. Everything within these directories are part of the
mailman group as well.

What else do I need to check? I am still getting the
Cron <mailman at mail> /usr/bin/python -S /usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news
 message.