[Mailman-Users] Mailman Scrubbing archived attachments

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Oct 13 00:30:05 CEST 2006

Kate Henry wrote:

>All I want to do is to set up Mailman so that it sends an attachment with
>the e-mail (that works) and then saves the attachment in the archived
>version of the e-mail (doesn't work - get message that the attachment was
>"scrubbed").  I can't seem to figure out how to do it.  I have nothing set
>in "content filtering" assuming that would mean that nothing is filtered.

That is correct. Even better, set filter_content to No if that's what
you want and no content filtering will be done at all regardless of
the other settings.

In any case, if the attachment is sent in list mail, content filtering
didn't remove it and has no further effect on the archive.

>If that is not how to make it so that I can save a copy of the attachment in
>the archive, what do I need to do?

I'm not sure where the above message fits in this partially off list
thread, but here's a summary of what's happening.

Based on your off list message (copied in my reply at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-October/053829.html>),
the attachment is archived and its location in the archive is included
in the archived message. See my reply for more.

If you are expecting to see the PDF attachment 'inline' in the archive,
pipermail doesn't attempt to do that, and in fact, it can't be done at
all in a browser independent way. In another recent thread
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-October/053639.html>
I wrote

<quote>
Pipermail does not have the ability to archive Multipart messages at
all, not to mention the ability to convert a PDF attachment to HTML so
it could be viewed inline in the archive.

Thus, all messages must be 'scrubbed' before archiving. Scrubbing
consists of saving all non-plain text attachments and plain text parts
with incompatible character sets separately in the 'attachments'
directory and replacing them with hyperlinks in the original message
and flattening the original into a single plain text message for the
archive.
</quote>