[Mailman-Users] Two footers appearing in messages

Allan Trick atrick at prin.edu
Mon Oct 16 20:55:39 CEST 2006

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>So the "2007" list is an umbrella list. It should be so indicated on
>its General Options page so that adinistrative messages such as
>password reminders for its members get sent to, e.g.,
>2007day-owner at ... and not to the whole 2007day at ... list.

Correct.  It's an umbrella list, and I've changed that radio button
to Yes now for sending reminders to the owner.

>Note that all the members of an umbrella list should be other lists and
>not individuals. Lists which have a combination of other lists and
>individuals as members are hard to manage well.

Also correct.  We have no regular users - just list names - as
members on these lists.

>If you disabled delivery for '2007day' and '2007boarder' on the
>'2007' list, messages sent to the '2007' list would not reach the
>sublists at all.

That's what I was afraid of, and why I thought I'd better consult the
experts here before doing anything like that!

>What you need to do is remove all the text from msg_footer on the
>Non-digest options page of the '2007' list. Then the only footer that
>will be added to messages will be the appropriate footer from the
>sub-list.

Great idea.  I've done it and when the next broadcast blast goes out
I'll watch to see what happens.  I'm sure this will fix it.

Thanks so much, Mark!

Allan