[Mailman-Users] Template Token Hell

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Oct 16 23:07:58 CEST 2006

Lindsay Haisley wrote:

>I'm up
>against a veritable jungle of different substitution tokens in different
>templates.  %(listname)s is the equivalent of the Python Mailman var real_name
>(the "pretty" name) in some places, while in others %(list_name)s is the
>lower-case name used for directories.  Yet other templates use replacement
>sequences that are more like HTML tags, e.g. "<MM-List-Name>".
>
>A.  Is there any reference (other than reading code) where all these are
>    defined for the different contexts in which they occur?

No.

>B.  Is there any plan to organize this mess into something more logical?

We recognize the problem and have some ideas that reach this area (see
<http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Mailman+2.2>), but no guarantees.

>In particular, I'm trying to find out if there's a lower case version of the
>list name available in archtocnombox.html and archtoc.html (where %(listname)s
>is the "pretty" name selected by the list administrator), and what other
>substitution tokens are available in the context of these two templates.

In general, the %(key_word)s substitutions are specific to any given
template that uses them and the only ones defined for a specific
template are the ones that appear in the default template.

It's pretty easy to patch the code to pass additional key_word:value
items to substitute in the template, but it does require patching the
code. See
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-September/053399.html>
for more info.

>Maybe I oughta post this on the dev list.  Can anyone here answer it?

I think it's in the grey area where it could go on either list.