[Mailman-Users] Serious Performance issue

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Tue Oct 17 18:11:25 CEST 2006

Thus spake Gadi Evron on Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 10:38:48AM CDT
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Peter Kofod wrote:
> > Hi Everyone:
> >
> > I am new to this list having just implemented mailman for an
> > announce-list we host.  In short, the performance is horrible.  The list
> > has approx 40,000 subscribers and the avg message going out is about 40K
> > (some embedded imagery).  I know we can do better with lazy html etc.,
> > but the system has become unresponsive.
>
> Generally, mailman does not really cope with *very* large lists too
> well. It is still my system of choice.

I would try to profile the problem, chunk it down into components and see where
it's taking the most time.  My guess is that it's not a Mailman problem, but an
MTA problem.  "Unresponsive" generally means that your load average has gone
way up, which is easy to check using top, and you can also see which processes
are eating CPU cycles.  The FAQs which Patrick cited look quite helpful, but
even so, IMHO, 40K subscribers is a *very* large list.  A single 40K message to
the list ends up pushing better than a gigabyte of data through your mail
server.  Load balancing the job across several servers might be appropriate.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Fighting against human |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |    creativity is like   |      available at