[Mailman-Users] Serious Performance issue

Ralf Hildebrandt Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
Tue Oct 17 19:48:10 CEST 2006

* Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-mailman at fmp.com>:

> I would try to profile the problem, chunk it down into components and see where
> it's taking the most time.  My guess is that it's not a Mailman problem, but an
> MTA problem.  "Unresponsive" generally means that your load average has gone
> way up, which is easy to check using top, and you can also see which processes
> are eating CPU cycles.  The FAQs which Patrick cited look quite helpful, but
> even so, IMHO, 40K subscribers is a *very* large list.  A single 40K message to
> the list ends up pushing better than a gigabyte of data through your mail
> server.  Load balancing the job across several servers might be appropriate.

I'd need to know some details:

a) Are mailman and postfix on the same box? If yes: That sucks :)
b) Where does the load come from? If you send out an assload of mail,
   then Postfix will saturate your disk I/O and pump out the mail
   Nothing else will be moving during that time.
c) Is the mail coming mfrom mailman scanned for viruses? If yes: That
   sucks. After all it's sufficient to scan the mail going INTO mailman
   (usually that amount is <<< amount of outgoing mail)

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (i.A. des IT-Zentrums)         Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
Charite - Universitätsmedizin Berlin            Tel.  +49 (0)30-450 570-155