[Mailman-Users] password management

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Oct 17 23:50:20 CEST 2006

At 8:21 PM +0100 10/17/06, Alain Williams wrote:

>  * that mailman passwords are locked away in python pickles .. this
>  makes them difficult to access/maintain through scripts written in
>  other languages.

There's a variety of reasons why passwords are being eliminated from
future versions of Mailman.  This is another good one.

However, you shouldn't need to access the passwords from other
languages -- if the users have forgotten their password, they can
always have a new one generated and then sent out to them by e-mail.

>  * if you are subscribed to several lists, then you have a different password
>   for each list, or you need to change each of them every time that
>   you change.

Not necessarily.  If they use the same e-mail address, they can log
into their user page with the address and password for one list, then
globally change their password for all lists.  It's a more complex
process, but it does work.

Of course, we recognize that it's a more complex process and probably
too much to expect for most users, which is part of why passwords are
being eliminated.

>  No: they are not meant to he high security, but it would be nice to
>  use the same one as with various other services on the same box.

Mailman was not designed to integrate with other services on the same
box.  However, if you program in Python, it's not hard to access the
same pickles in other packages.  But that's more of a Python
programming thing, not a Mailman thing.

If you'd like to have better integration between Mailman and other
services on the same box, we would welcome your patches.  Please feel
free to upload those via the SourceForge patch tracker for Mailman at
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=103&atid=300103>.

Otherwise, please feel free to file your Request for Enhancement on
the SourceForge RFE tracker for Mailman at
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=103&atid=350103>, or via
the Mailman wiki at <http://wiki.list.org/>.

We are working on this issue, but it's a slow process.  Among other
things, there are a virtually infinite variety of other potential
services you might want to integrate with.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad at shub-internet.org>

Trend Micro has announced that they will cancel the stop.mail-abuse.org
mail forwarding service as of 15 November 2006.  If you have an old
e-mail account for me at this domain, please make sure you correct that
with the current address.