[Mailman-Users] mail keeps looping back to list due to filter rule

Matthew Clarkson matt at mail.netera.ca
Tue Oct 24 00:34:13 CEST 2006

My mailing lists have been running fine on our mailman 2.1.7 server
for the last year, however, I just implemented a filter for spam on
one of our public lists to catch anything that spamassassin marks
with a ***SPAM*** subject.  The filter rule I imposed on this list is

subject: .*SPAM.*

however, now it loops mail back to the list that match this filter
rule, locking the list up (I get stale locks in the locks/
directory).  The only way to recover from the endless loops is by
removing the stale locks and then discarding all .pck's to the list
with the discard command (otherwise, the web interface gets locked up
due to too many messages).

Here is the first bit of the moderator request email I get notifying
me of pending requests to be dealt with (list name replaced by mylist).

Pending posts: