[Mailman-Users] Can't send messages to list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Oct 26 05:53:52 CEST 2006

Lukasz Szybalski wrote:

>That is the file i patched SMTPDirect.py
>
> 57 class Connection:
>     58     def __init__(self):
>     59         self.__conn = None
>     60
>     61     def __connect(self):
>     62         self.__conn = smtplib.SMTP()
>     63         self.__conn.set_debuglevel(1)
>     64         self.__conn.connect(mm_cfg.SMTPHOST, mm_cfg.SMTPPORT)
>     65         self.__numsessions=mm_cfg.SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION

But is it the correct Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py. I.e. is it the
one in the running Mailman installation, and not one in some unpack or
build directory?

Did you check the timestamp on the Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.pyc on
the same path (if there is one) to be sure it is the one being
imported by Mailman after you do a 'restart'

>So after playing with it for a while...I figured the exception is here...
>
>  381     except (socket.error, IOError, smtplib.SMTPException), e:
>    382         # MTA not responding, or other socket problems, or any
>other kind of
>    383         # SMTPException.  In that case, nothing got delivered,
>so treat this
>    384         # as a temporary failure.
>    385         syslog('smtp-failure', 'Low level smtp error: %s,
>msgid: %s', e, msgid)
>    386         error = str(e)
>    387         for r in recips:
>    388             refused[r] = (-1, error)
>
>Is there a way to manually get the debug info from smtplib
>(conversation with postfix) within this file? debuglevel works if i do
>it by hand...

What do you mean 'do it by hand'? Presumably, whatever you do by hand
doesn't fail. What is that?

>I could add something like this, its just where?
>syslog('smtp-failure', 'conversation with smtplib: %s', e)

You can't. The error occurs in the processing of

        refused = conn.sendmail(envsender, recips, msgtext)

in bulk_deliver and the exception is already caught and all available
information is reported. That's why you have to enable smtplib
debugging to get more information than you already have.

>Also,
>the emails seem to go through. Then they stop and then go after i do reopen.

'reopen' is not the same as 'restart'. Have you ever done a 'restart'?
All 'reopen' does is tell the runners to close and reopen their log
files. It doesn't reload any edited modules.

And, why they stop is what we're trying to figure out, and I can't tell
you any more than I already have without additional information.