[Mailman-Users] Digest Options

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Oct 28 16:55:22 CEST 2006

Jon Loose wrote:

>The ideal would be a single HTML message which
>combines all of the HTML/plain messages that have been
>sent to the list, with attachments aggregated and
>placed at the end of the combined message.  This is
>something quite different than mailman does already -
>but I felt it was worth raising.
>
>An alternative might be a combination of the current
>Mime/Plain options, with a single text containing all
>the messages, with Mime attachments at the bottom for
>any attachments to the original messages.

I personally wouldn't find either of these options appealing. I hate
receiving HTML email. Additionally, all my lists allow only plain text
so there would be little advantage to an HTML digest (you could
specify color or font for message separators to make them stand out).

With either option, you don't have the ability to directly reply to
individual messages from your MUA as you do with the current MIME
digest. You have to edit the subject and body of the reply, at least
if you want it to be coherent, and you lose threading information for
the archives.

I also think that having attachments referenced by hyperlink that I can
choose to visit or not as in the current plain digest is preferable to
attaching them all at the end of the digest where I have to download
them whether I want them or not, and where I might have difficulty
knowing which attachments go with which message.

In short, it's a request that I wouldn't put any effort into
implementing unless there was overwhelming demand for it.