[Mailman-Users] How to move a list from 2.1.2

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Oct 30 19:27:04 CET 2006

At 8:56 AM -0800 10/30/06, Carl Zwanzig wrote:

>  I suppose that I'm also rather 'old-fashioned" in that my preferred
>  installation is from source, followed by using bsd ports.

Of course, I prefer installing from source, too.  Especially when it
comes to things like Mailman.  The irony here is that for the NTP
Public Services project, when I initially installed Mailman so that I
could switch over from Majordomo (like, four or five years ago), I
used the BSD port system.  So, when it came time to do the upgrade to
2.1.9, I ended up using the BSD port system once again.

>  You could try installing freebsd instead of linux. Once the base OS
>  is installed, doing postfix (or exim) and mailman is quite easy.

I've gotten to the point where I no longer talk to people about
switching OSes.  I may talk about the superiority of using BSD
filesystems with Soft Updates for mail-related applications, and if
people are curious then I'll be able to talk about that in more depth.

But otherwise I've gotten to the point where I figure that most
people aren't going to switch OSes just because I suggest it, and
that my doing so just annoys them and doesn't have any positive
impact.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad at shub-internet.org>

Trend Micro has announced that they will cancel the stop.mail-abuse.org
mail forwarding service as of 15 November 2006.  If you have an old
e-mail account for me at this domain, please make sure you correct that
with the current address.