[Mailman-Users] rename mailman hostname

mardin at comcast.net mardin at comcast.net
Tue Oct 31 19:11:46 CET 2006

Hi,

I needed to rename the mailman server (2.1.5) from mailman_server1.admin.net to mailman_server2.admin.net. I followed the FAQ 4.29.

(1) I changed the hostname to mailman_server2.admin.net on the system.

(2) I modified the mm_cfg.py as follows:

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mailman_server2.admin.net'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'mailman_server2.admin.net'
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'

I restart mailman and run fix_url:
$ ./mailmanctl restart
$ ./withlist -l -r fix_url listname

(3) I changed httpd.conf and ssl.conf to match new hostname of mailman_server2.admin.net.

The new mailman_server2..admin.net server was working (such as posted to mailing lists and run command line).  But I found a problem:

After I used URL of https://mailman_server2.admin.net/mailman/admin/, I could log in the list successfully. But I could not modify the contents of configurations and do other administration work. When I tried to submit the changes, I got the following message:

"Although this page is encrypted, the information you have entered is to be sent over an unencrypted connection and could easily be read by a third party.
Are you sure you want to continue sending this information? -> Continue"

After I clicked the Continue Botton, nothing changed about the list.

I did add the "DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'" to mm_cfg.py and restart mailman. Did I miss some steps for renaming the mailman hostname?

Thanks for your help!
Mardin