[Mailman-Users] query re "message has implicit destination"(devils advocate!)

stephen at xemacs.org stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Sep 1 14:30:31 CEST 2006

Brad Knowles writes:

 > I just don't have the answers to the questions you're asking me.

That's fine.

 > Moreover, I don't think that it's reasonable for you to respond to me
 > in this manner.  What have I ever done to you?

Since you ask, lots of nice things.  I've certainly benefited from
your contributions to these lists and the FAQ.  Thank you!

I'm not sure what you mean by "manner", but the reason I responded is
that I got triggered by the juxtaposition of "us vs. them" language
with "GPL".  I agree that there's a justification for a feeling of "us
vs. them" between Mailman and the companies mentioned, but in my
experience the GPL normally contributes to such antagonism, and I've
never seen the GPL help alleviate it.  So I want the GPL out of the
discussion (unless the companies are in violation of their license,
which seems possible---that's why I asked for evidence).

 > When have I ever said anything that would lead you to believe that
 > I would have the kinds of answers you require

Aren't you the guy who was there when the Postel Principle was coined?
<wink>  You're right, I should ask Barry, but Barry's not here right
now that I can see, and you usually do have answers, good answers.

 > to these extremely loaded questions you're asking?

What's loaded about the questions?  True, my phrasing assumed that you
probably knew the answers to the questions, but I didn't mean to imply
any obligation for you to know them.

Your post asks for more than the GPL does.  I agree that it would be
good if these companies would participate actively in the community.
But I'm more confused than ever why you cited the GPL in support of
that, since you write:

 > But if you want to argue the finer points of the GPL with someone, my
 > response is going to be that none of this would be a problem if
 > they'd just use a BSD-like license instead and then be done with
 > it.

 > As such, I'm not going to be your foil for your GPL holy war, and if
 > you want that then you would be better off looking elsewhere.

All I want w.r.t. the GPL is that downstream do what it explicitly
demands, since that is the license Mailman uses.

And maybe Mailman should consider asking for source code from these
companies, to improve support for not a few users.

Steve