[Mailman-Users] Just archives

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Fri Sep 1 17:52:17 CEST 2006

Answering my own question, on the off-chance somebody else now or in
the future cares...

On 8/29/06, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b at dd-b.net> wrote:

> What I think I want to do is leave the new/current mailing list, and
> its archives, alone, and put up the old archives in my web space.  (A
> more aggressive approach would be to try to attach my old archives to
> the beginning of the new/current archive, so everything would be in
> one place.  That would require a lot of reliance on Dreamhost tech
> support, since I don't have access to those files/directories, and
> they might not even be willing to do it.)
>
> So, what executables and configuration settings are key to this?  I
> need to run "arch", it looks like, and have a mailing list configured
> that will define where it puts the resulting HTML files.  Maybe also
> stuff to make the page templates match the rest of the website (I did
> that for the ezmlm-cgi version).   And I only have to do this once
> (just to convert the old archives, static, no more messages).

I've made significant progress on this.  I built a private copy of
mailman, to run under my username (never to actually be connected to
incoming email; just so that I can create and configure lists and run
arch on them).

The configure command I used was:

./configure --with-username=ddb --with-groupname=ddb --prefix=/home/ddb/mailman

I can create a list with bin/newlist, and I can then run bin/arch and
import mbox list archives, and it builds web pages that serve up just
fine.

I believe I need to do more to configure the list, so that for example
the list name appears somewhere on the archive pages.  I'm not yet
sure if I should do this via command line tools, or if I need to hook
it up so the list admin web pages work on this private copy of
mailman.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b at dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>