[Mailman-Users] Obscure addresses problem

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Sep 4 19:50:18 CEST 2006

At 7:04 AM -0700 2006-09-04, Jack Stone wrote:

>  Brad: I did what you advised but mailman does not adjust to the new setting
>  of NO to not Obscure. Yes, I have regenerated the archives -- the ones
>  that belong to mailman of course.

Hmm.  In which case, I'm not sure I've got any answers for you.
There seems to be some sort of disconnect between the Mailman archive
generation process and your custom third-party process, and the
techniques that have worked on every other Mailman server that I have
ever encountered do not appear to work on your machine.

Perhaps someone else will be able to provide some insight.

>  Is the obscure a buggy feature or do you have any other suggestions. I
>  haven't seen any other answers in my search.

The Mailman method of obscuring addresses has always worked as
described, in all installations I have ever encountered or heard of.
I have never heard of anyone having the kinds of problems you are
seeing, but then it sounds like you're tying these processes together
in a non-standard way, and I'm afraid that I will not be able to
provide any further assistance.

>  I have watched Mailman mature for years before switching from majordomo.
>  The only aspect keeping me from doing it was the messy archives that
>  could not set the right dates of the message and showed dates far into
>  the future.

That sounds like a problem that was resolved a while back.  See FAQ 3.63.

>  Please one more attempt to explain to me what to do & I'll go away --
>  happy as a "clam" if I get the right answer from anyone -- unless I'm
>  the only one on this list with this problem.

You're the only one who's ever reported this problem, so far as I
know.  All the other sites that use MHonArc have tied that in through
the standard Mailman third-party archive mechanism, and I have not
heard of anyone having these kinds of problems with that technique.

Nor have I heard of anyone using the standard third-party archive
mechanism wanting or needing to change the value of the Mailman
address obscuration feature, because that is implemented in the
Pipermail archive system within Mailman, and that is by-passed when
you go through the third-party archive system.

So, I'm not sure that anyone is going to be able to help you, but we
can always hope.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.