[Mailman-Users] Hijacking threads and netiquette (was: e: Obscure addresses problem)

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Sep 5 18:33:56 CEST 2006

At 11:17 AM -0500 2006-09-05, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

>>  First off, please don't hijack existing threads and leave the subject
>>  line the same.  If you have a new topic, please create a new message
>>  with a new subject.
>
>  Sorry about this ending up attached to the thread.  I don't see how it
>  did, and it wasn't my intention.

When you "reply" to a previous message, this is what happens.

If you have a new topic, please don't "reply" to a previous message
and then continue on discussing whatever unrelated questions you may
have.

>>  Secondly, your wording of this question suggests that you have not
>>  yet searched the FAQ or the archives before posting -- see FAQ 1.22.
>
>  I can find nothing in the FAQ relating to this.  However, the copy of
>  the FAQ I have found doesn't have numbers (list.org, documentation,
>  FAQ), so I'm not sure I've looked at the exact item you think
>  addresses it.  Where is this FAQ 1.22?

The Mailman "docs" page at <http://www.list.org/docs.html> actually
links to two different FAQs.  One is the old developer-maintained
page at <http://www.list.org/faq.html>, and one links to the newer
community-driven Mailman FAQ Wizard at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py>.

In addition, if you look at the footer of every single post to this
list, you will see the following information: