[Mailman-Users] RESOLUTION: Mailman/Qmail/Plesk Problem

Douglas G. Phillips doug at sbscomp.net
Thu Sep 7 08:36:00 CEST 2006

Prequalification: This may not work for everyone.  What I suspected is
that something in the mailman config was corrupted, or when the server
backups were restored, something was configured for the old server,
and was therefore different with the new one.  However, I noticed in
my research on this problem that there were a number of individuals
with strange issues like this, so hopefully this helps someone.

What I did:
Get a fresh copy of mailman (stock version), and compiled it, with the
expected mail gid and cgi gid used in this installation.  I then
installed it into a different working directory (/usr/local/mailman),
and copied the list configs and archives into this directory space.
Finally, I moved the plesk installation (/usr/lib/mailman) to a
different name and symlinked /usr/local/mailman to /usr/lib/mailman.

Everything is working fine now, including the plesk control panel.

So, at this point, I'm not sure whether plesk's version modifies
anything in mailman, or if they just have a front-end that manipulates
things somehow, but since it's [plesk] compiled PHP code, I won't find
out that way. But the customer is very happy, and at the moment,
that's all I am worried about... (And finally getting some sleep)