[Mailman-Users] MM lists on Gmane

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sun Sep 17 02:57:58 CEST 2006

At 7:40 PM +0000 9/16/06, Jason R. Mastaler wrote:

>                                                Having known Lars
>  Magne Ingebrigtsen for years, he's all about being a good net
>  citizen, writing software that is aggressively standards
>  compliant, and all the other good things.  Not to mention his
>  significant contributions to open source software.  In short,
>  I've never known him or anything he's ever been involved in
>  to be "sleazy".

I don't know Lars personally, but in the exchanges we've had, he does
seem to be a nice enough guy.

The problem is that there have been more than one incident with Gmane
in groups that I'm affiliated with.  I could forgive one incident.
It's harder for me to forgive two.  In talking to other people who've
likewise had these kinds of things done to them by Gmane, it's much
much harder for me to forgive multiple such incidents.

>  It seems wrong to me that you guys are preventing hundreds
>  and perhaps thousands of Mailman and Python users from
>  using an extremely valuable service (Gmane) because of what
>  amounts to a technicality, and is most likely just a
>  misunderstanding.

The information is available in plenty of places, beyond the official
archive sites.  I don't think anyone on the project is going to lose
any sleep that it's not available on Gmane -- that's assuming that it
has not been re-added to Gmane over our express objections.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.