[Mailman-Users] MM lists on Gmane

Jason R. Mastaler jason at mastaler.com
Mon Sep 18 17:35:38 CEST 2006

On 9/18/06 7:37 AM, John A. Martin wrote:
> Unless I am missing something, the form at
> <http://gmane.org/subscribe.php> does not include a place for the
> list-owner address.  It sees to me therefore unrealistic to expect the
> Gmane administrator to contact the list-owner but rather the the
> person submitting the request ("Your email address" on the form) if
> there are any questions.  For this reason I suggest to owners of lists
> with public archives under my purview that they might be well advised
> to subscribe their lists to Gmane themselves rather than wait for
> someone else to do it and get the name wrong or otherwise raise havoc.

Although when the lists are added to Gmane, an auto-generated notice
*is* sent to the list-owner address explaining what has happened and
giving them the option to easily opt-out by replying to the notice.
It's possible in the Mailman case that there was some technicality that
prevented this notice from being sent, or that the people raising havoc
about this issue here weren't MM list-owners when the lists were first
added to Gmane (years ago), and therefore didn't get the notice.