[Mailman-Users] can't call command line functions from php

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Mon Sep 18 21:02:12 CEST 2006

Anne Ramey wrote:
>I have my php script running as a user in the mailman group, but when I
>try to do:
>    //add user to Admin email list
>    $command = "/usr/local/mailman/bin/add_members -r ".$Filename." admins";
>    system($command, $status);
>
>I get a status of 1 returned to me and it doesn't add the users.  I've
>tried:
>    shell_exec($command);
>as well but it didn't work either.  I can successfully call these
>functions from my old perl scripts, so I don't think it's a permissions
>issue.  I think I must be missing something in the php.  This may be a
>little out of the scope of this list, but any help would be appreciated.

This is slightly off-topic but I am sure there are other users out
there who also use PHP for web scripting to interface to mailman (I
do on my system, I am far more comfortable with it than Python).

This sounds like PHP is being run in safe mode and the scripts you
are trying to run are not allowed under the permitted safe-mode
commands. Safe mode is often enabled by ISPs running servers that
host virtual domains to prevent users from doing malicious and/or
negligent things that can damage the file hierarchy or compromise
sensitive system information. Chapter 9 of the PHP manual describes
safe mode and how it works.

If you have error reporting to the browser turned off, you will need
to look in the HTTP server error log to see if PHP is complaining
about something. You might have to boost the error-reporting level in
your PHP script using the error_reporting function in your script to
get the level of detail you need.

Dragon