[Mailman-Users] [Fwd: archive emails are garbled]

Justin Zygmont justin at cityfone.net
Tue Sep 19 02:37:15 CEST 2006

>>Is one of the other lists a better place to ask this?
>

> Probably not. Did you see the reply to your original post at
> <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-September/053291.html>?

I must have missed your message somehow, thanks a lot for the reply.

Justin Zygmont wrote:

 >I have a noticed a problem with emails stored in the list archives if
 >they have been uuencoded.  When HTML emails are distributed to all the
 >list members they just show the raw HTML code,

 >Messages as sent to message subscribers or messages in the archives?
 >You should be able to send HTML to individual subscribers if you don't
 >filter content or if you allow the appropriate MIME types in content
 >filtering. How such messages appear in archives depends on sitewide
 >archiving options set in mm_cfg.py.

 >so I used uuencode and it
 >fixed that, but when I take a look at the message in the archives it
 >looks mostly garbled.  Here's an example:
 >
 >begin 644 AgentCommissions.html
 >M/"%$3T-465!%($A434P at 4%5"3$E#("(M+R]7,T,O+T141"!(5$U,(#0N,#$@
 >M5')A;G-I=&EO;F%L+R]%3B(^#0H\:'1M;#X-"CQH96%D/@T*/'1I=&QE/D-I
 >M='EF;VYE($-O;6UI<W-I;VX at 0F%N:SPO=&ET;&4^#0H\<W1Y;&4^#0H\(2TM
 >M#0IT9"YL:71T;&5T97AT("![(&9O;G0M9F%M:6QY.B!!<FEA;#L at 9F]N="US
 >M:7IE.B X<'0@?0T*:#$@(" @(" @(" @(" @>R!F;VYT+69A;6EL>3H at 07)I
 >M86P[(&9O;G0M<VEZ93H@,31P="!]#0IH,B @(" @(" @(" @("![(&9O;G0M
 >M9F%M:6QY.B!!<FEA;#L at 9F]N="US:7IE.B Q,G!T('T-"G1D+F)I9W1E>'0@
 >M(" @('L at 9F]N="UF86UI;'DZ($%R:6%L.R!F;VYT+7-I>F4Z(#$T<'0@?0T*

 >This is not garbled. It is the uuencoded AgentCommissions.html file. A
 >uuencoded file is not human readable, but as far as mail agents are
 >concerned, it is plain text and will be archived in its raw form. Some
 >MUAs see a uuencoded file in an email and call it an 'attachment' and
 >render it as such, but this is non-standard. Also some MUAs when
 >composing will put uuencoded data in a separate MIME part with
 >this to is non-standard.

 >Anyone know if there is a better way to deal with this?

 >You should be able to send HTML messages to your list members.

 >What Mailman version is this? What are your content filtering settings?
 >Can you provide a sample of a message as sent to Mailman and as
 >received from Mailman?

The messages appear as HTML code, and do not display an HTML looking
email when it arrives to the subscribers.  This was one of the reasons
why I tried using uuencode, but in the list archives, they show in their
uuencoded form which is useless.  I wanted it to appear as HTML in
thunderbird, and include it as an attachment also.

I'm using mailman-2.1.5.1-34.rhel4.3 and tried different content
filering options, it didn't seem to help though.  Here is a sample of
part of an email:

<head>
<title>Mobility Points Report</title>
<!--
td.littletext  { font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt }
h1             { font-family: Arial; font-size: 14pt }
h2             { font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt }
td.bigtext     { font-family: Arial; font-size: 14pt }
-->
</head>

Thanks,