[Mailman-Users] Mail going to list archives but not to list!

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Sep 26 20:45:44 CEST 2006

On Sep 26, 2006, at 2:12 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 8:51 AM -0400 9/26/06, Elizabeth Schwartz wrote:
>>  Another question:  is there any parallelism of processing files
>> in the out
>>  queue or are they done sequentially?
> By default, it's single-threaded -- but not really "sequential".  It
> has more to do with how the directory entries are written, and not
> what you or I would think of as "sequential".
> There are ways to get more than one Outgoing queue runner working,
> but that's a very non-standard configuration, and takes more work to
> maintain.  I would like to see Mailman move towards a hashed queue
> mechanism (like postfix), so that it would be a lot easier to have
> multiple Outgoing queue runners working at the same time.

Actually, Mailman does implement a hashed queue of sorts for its
queue runners.  Every queue file is assigned a hash and a timestamp,
encoded in the file name.  The timestamp is so that qrunners can
handle the files in FIFO order.  The hash creates a "hash space" for
when multiple qrunners are used per queue.  In that case, each
qrunner is responsible for a slice of the hash space, so that they
can run concurrently without having to deal with expensive and tricky

Multiple qrunners are a supported configuration, although I believe
their use is rare.  In fact, qrunners can contend for list locks
which can reduce their concurrency, but the OutgoingRunner is one
place where write access to the list data isn't necessary and care
was taken so that multiple OutgoingRunners could maximize their

(fyi: there is an end-case bug in the hash space algorithm in Mailman
pre-2.1.9.  I don't think anyone's ever hit it, but Mark found it
through visual inspection of the code.  Fixed in 2.1.9.)

- -Barry

Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (Darwin)