[Mailman-Users] Just want to verify ...

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Sep 27 16:57:11 CEST 2006

Brad Knowles wrote:

>At 2:29 PM -0600 9/26/06, Brandon Slaten wrote:
>
>>                                                       It is my
>>  understanding that Mailman needs to be installed on the same host that
>>  is running the mail server.  Is this correct?
>
>It is a typical configuration, but not a hard requirement.  Just set
>your SMTPHOST to a different name.

This works fine for outgoing mail. Incoming mail is trickier. You have
to use something like fetchmail or some other process to get the mail
from the incoming MTA to mailman (Maybe NFS can be used, but I don't
offhand know if anyone has done this). Search the archives of this
ilst
(<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.018.htp>)
for discussions of this.