[Mailman-Users] MySQL or other backends

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Sep 28 02:45:20 CEST 2006

Patrick Bogen wrote:

>On 9/25/06, Jeremy Leonard <Jeremy at elite4god.com> wrote:
>> Does Mailman support using MySQL, LDAP or another SQL server for a backend?
>I believe there's a third-party patch/addon to use MySQL for storing
>membership information, although I think list configurations (and
>almost certainly archives) are still stored on the filesystem.
>Try searching for 'mailman mysql member adapter'.
>It would probably be fairly easy to modify this to use a different SQL
>server. Theoretically, LDAP, as well, although that would likely be a
>more extensive rewrite.
>If you're interested in storing *all* data on a MySQL server, you're
>out of luck as far as I know.

Patrick is correct. There is also a "read only" LDAP MemberAdaptor. You
can find both of these in the Mailman patch tracker on sf.net.

There is active work on the MySQL MemberAdaptor. See

Also see the Mailman 2.2 wiki at
<http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Mailman+2.2> for info on plans to
use some kind of SQL database for all list data, not just membership.