[Mailman-Users] Managing lists as a non-root/Mailman user

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Apr 17 20:54:23 CEST 2007

At 4:10 PM +0100 4/17/07, Martyn Drake wrote:

>  For the purposes of automation, I need to be able to run the various
>  management scripts neither as root or Mailman (primarily because the
>  script will be run by a network account not local to the Mailman
>  machine).  What would be the easiest way of doing this?  Create a
>  network group called Mailman and add the user to that?

In terms of running the command-line scripts, you really have no
option -- they have to be run as root or the Mailman user, and on the
local box.  The files that they would be operating on simply don't
exist anywhere else.

Now, if your Mailman server is operating on files that are mounted
via NFS, then the command-line scripts would need to be executed as
root or the Mailman user on the remote system where the files are
visible, but keep in mind that NFS causes a lot of problems for file
locking which would typically be required for proper use of the
administration tools, especially anything that would be opening and
working with Python "pickle" files for internal list configuration,
list membership, messages that are currently being processed by
Mailman, etc....

In terms of scripting the web-based GUI administration of the list,
see FAQ 3.53.