[Mailman-Users] Problem with archives and escaping of "From"

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Aug 2 05:23:41 CEST 2007

James Davis wrote:

>Running mailman 2.1.9-7 on Debian 4.0.
>
>The archive for one of my lists played up today and two extra entries
>appeared containing only the tail end of a seperate post. It turns out
>that the archive software got confused when it came across a line in the
>body that started "From" and had been properly escaped to ">From" in the
>mbox file.
>
>It treated that as the start of the e-mail. Deleting the ">" appears to
>unconfused the archive software and the messages appeared as they
>should. Am I getting my head in a twist, shouldn't the behavior have
>been the other way around?

I'm just agreeing with you that the above seems backwards.

The archiver 'stringifies' the message both for the .mbox file and for
the subsequent archiving in the pipermail archive. The conversion of
an email message object to a string will always escape any "From_"
lines in the body with ">". The subsequent archiver should not
consider any ">From_" body lines as message separators.

I have no idea what's going on in the above scenario.