[Mailman-Users] Fw: problem in Makefile for mailman

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Aug 2 06:18:52 CEST 2007

Geo wrote:
>Mailman  Makefile contains:
> ----------------------------------
> .if defined(WITH_SENDMAIL)
> MAIL_GID?=       mailnull
> .endif
> ------------------------------------

This is not our Makefile. I can only guess that it is a FreeBSD port

> But after installation (FreeBSD 6.2, /usr/ports/mail/mailman) when I send
> any message
> to mailman list I receive the error:
> -----Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mailwrapper script to be
> executed as group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail
> script as group "mailnull".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the script
> as group "mailman", or re-run configure, providing the command line option
> `--with-mail-gid=mailnull'.--------------
> What (and how!) can I do to set MAIL_GID= mailnull?
> If I understand I'll describe this in detail for mailman users!

I answered this question as best as I could a few days ago. The answer
is at
If you have questions about my answer, please be specific as to what
they are.

Otherwise, this is a FreeBSD issue and you might have better luck
persuing it using FreeBSD resources.