[Mailman-Users] Migrating from 1.0 to 2.1.9
runner at winning.com
runner at winning.com
Thu Aug 2 17:48:21 CEST 2007
> > Looks like I jumped to a conclusion on the dumpdb script. The
> > mailman/bin directory on the old server does not contain a dumpdb
> > script however, I just realized that it may be due to the fact
> > that someone may have deleted it and not that there was no such
> > script for Mailman 1.0. Will a dumpdb script from a newer
> > version of Mailman work on the old 1.0 version?
> It appears there was no dumpdb in Mailman 1.0 or 1.1. There is one in
> Mailman 2.0, but I don't know it it will work. You could try it.
> However, even Mailman 1.0 has a withlist which might be useful.
> Here are some other thoughts.
> There's no way to convert the list admin and moderator passwords. See
> the 2.1.9 change_pw for why and what to do about it.
> There's code in Mailman/versions.py that goes back to 1.0. Instead of
> creating new lists in the new installation, you could try just moving
> the old lists/<listname>/config.db, at least for one test to see what
> happens. It might work. It won't solve the password problem, but if it
> works, it should save you a bunch of work.
> Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
> San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
I moved the config.db file from a test list to the new server. I logged in to the web interface and all the members were there and the settings looked good. Moving the archives over and rebuilding them even worked. However, if I try to run dumpdb on the newly migrated list I get this error:
NameError: global name 'DumperSwitchboard' is not defined
Although there are other posts in the mailman-users archives where people saw this problem; there was no resolution. So it seems that even though the list appears to function properly and the web intercase works, something is not quite right with the config.db file and Mailman version 2.1.9. It makes me a little nervous to run the migrated lists in production knowing that I can never run dumpdb and I don't know what else might be broken. I think I will go with my original plan of pre-creating each list on the new server, importing the list member's email addresses and manually setting up the list. With 150 lists, I think I can do it in a week.
I'd like to try the transfer of config data programatically using withlist but I can't seem to find any comprehensive documentation on the use this command. There are lots of posts in the archives and on google concerning specific uses of the command but no comprehensive usage instructions in one place. I'll keep searching.
We've Got Your Name at http://www.mail.com!
Get a FREE E-mail Account Today - Choose From 100+ Domains
More information about the Mailman-Users