[Mailman-Users] a few questions about the NNTP gateway

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Tue Aug 7 07:54:19 CEST 2007

Brad Knowles ha scritto:
> On 8/7/07, Manlio Perillo wrote:
>>  Mailman runs on a Debian Sarge server, so this can be a problem without
>>  an upgrade to Etch (but security problems are not a problem, with
>> Debian).
> You could always install Mailman from source on that system, or you may
> be able to find a pre-built package that is based on the latest source.
> This is one of the typical problems when using programs from pre-built
> packages, because you're totally dependant on the person/group/entity
> that creates the packages.

Well, having a pre-built packages systems has also some benefits.

> And I'm not at all convinced that "security problems are not a problem,
> with Debian" or any other OS, for that matter.  Especially not with an
> old binary package that is based on old code that is known to have
> security flaws.

The Debian Secutiry team still supports Debian Sarge.
And in theory, if a security problem is found in an upstream package,
the fix should be back ported on the Debian package.

> I help run the Mailman server and the mail servers for python.org, and
> we use Debian Linux for the OS.  But we don't use any binary
> pre-packaged software, at least not for the critical bits like Mailman.

Ok, thanks.
I will try to install the new version.

> [...]
> And certainly, addresses that come in from USENET in an obscured fashion
> will most likely have their messages thrown away by most modern mail
> servers, even if the Mailman server accepts them and processes them as
> normal.
> So, when you run that gateway, you pretty much always want to use real
> addresses and not make any attempt to obfuscate addresses crossing one
> way or the other.

Well, the question of email in clear was raised by an
it.comp.lang.python newsgroup user.
And on this newsgroup, many of us do not use their real email address.

>>>  I think what happens is that the subject header will get treated as a
>>>  normal subject, and may have additional things tacked onto the front of
>>>  the subject line, whereas normally Mailman would have recognized the
>>>  "Re:" portion and potentially tacked those things on between the "Re:"
>>>  string(s) and the rest of the subject.
>>  It would be nice if mailman can apply a filter to the subject, and to
>>  fix it.
> There's a limit to what Mailman can do to fix the subject line, at least
> in terms of out-of-the-box code.
> If you're a Python programmer, it shouldn't be hard for you to add your
> own module to the system to handle these things, and to hook that into
> the appropriate place in the flow of messages through the system.  In
> that case, we'd ask you to contribute your changes back to the project
> via the Mailman patch page on SourceForge, so that others may benefit
> from your experience.

Thanks and regards  Manlio Perillo