[Mailman-Users] Subscribing to my list

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Aug 18 04:03:11 CEST 2007

Julie Zbeetnoff writes:

 > After not getting any response and not being able to send out to my list for
 > over 24 hours. I decided to test the subscription option.
 >
 > I did not receive confirmation to join my own list but rather I received a
 > confirmation to join this mailman list which I realize powers my list
 > googalistic at horizenplus.com
 >
 > Which brings me to my technical question. What the heck is going on?

We don't know; we supply software which is configured and administered
by your service provider.  It seems that your list is misconfigured,
but that will have to be addressed by you as list owner or the site
administrator.  In difficult cases we can probably help with diagnosis
and recommend configuration changes, but we need certain information
from you and the service provider.

 > Why is my list not working and why am I here and not at Googalistic after
 > subscribing?

Please tell us the exact set of steps you followed to arrive at the
current state of being subscribed to the Mailman Users list.  FYI, I
did the following:

1.  Google for "googalistic site:horizenplus.com".

The resulting page seems to be correct in a brief review; it's the
standard Mailman 2.1.9 subscription template, and all the URLs related
to subscriber services link to something about
googalistic_horizenplus.com.

Such an URL indicates that your provider is not using Mailman as
distributed by the Mailman project (if it were, only the list name
"googalistic" would be in the URL), but has applied some patches.  It
seems likely that these patches are related to your problem, but
you'll need to ask your provider about it.  We don't know what they are.

Are you accessing Mailman via cPanel or Plesk?  If so, the FAQ may be
of help:

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.032.htp

 > Since it is a public list your prompt attention would be appreciated.

Since you're openly running a business which involves spamming 400
Google Groups for each post to your mailing list, be warned: your
provider is likely to terminate your account for abuse on *any*
complaint, and Google is likely to make one.  Many of the posts look a
lot like MLM, too, which won't make them any happier.