[Mailman-Users] 403 forbidden on public archives

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Aug 23 19:30:27 CEST 2007

Jewel Makda wrote:

>[error] Symbloic link not allowed: /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/mylist

>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> This is puzzling since most permission or web server config issues
>> would affect all public archives, not just some.
>> What is in your web server (apache?) error_log for this 403 error?

I think you need

<Directory /usr/local/mailman/archives/public>
    Options +FollowSymLinks
in your httpd.conf. I suspect you have multiple virtual hosts and you
may have this where it applies to some, but not all hosts.

You need to have the above in a place where it applies globally, or you
need to have it in each VirtualHost section that has Mailman lists.