[Mailman-Users] Message received by mailman and archives, but won't deliver

Kyle Banerjee kyle.banerjee at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 23:14:01 CEST 2007

Further clarification on this problem.

It turns out that not everything is showing in the post log. After a
certain amount of time, the messages that are not getting through
appear in qfiles/out/*.pck

I turned debug=1 in SMTPDirect.py but haven't uncovered anything.

This is nuts, I'm willing to entertain even crazy speculation at this point.


On 8/30/07, Kyle Banerjee <kyle.banerjee at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You see just one outgoing message in your mail log? What, precisely is
> > actually showing up in your outgoing sendmail logs?
> >
> > Are you sure that your outgoing mail isn't being routed through
> > another mail server somewhere, which might be throwing it away or
> > causing it to be mis-recognized as spam?
> There are a number of lists, one has about 5K people on it. If I send
> a message to one that has only 5 people on it, I see something like:
> Aug 30 18:25:00 innopacusers sm-mta[32967]: l7UIOfmI032960:
> to=<name.removed at colorado.edu>, delay=00:00:13, xdelay=00:00:03,
> mailer=esmtp, pri=155445, relay=mx15.colorado.edu. [],
> dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (Ok: queued as D091E692112)
> Aug 30 18:25:02 innopacusers sm-mta[32967]: l7UIOfmI032960:
> to=<name.removed2 at mail.lib.msu.edu>, delay=00:00:15, xdelay=00:00:02,
> mailer=esmtp, pri=155445, relay=mail1.mail.lib.msu.edu. [],
> dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (
> <47eed6660708301124u6bda99bbo92e00b4180ccad48 at mail.gmail.com> Queued
> mail for delivery)
> Aug 30 18:25:02 innopacusers sm-mta[32967]: STARTTLS=client,
> relay=relay.oregonstate.edu., version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=FAIL,
> cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits=256/256
> Aug 30 18:25:02 innopacusers sm-mta[32967]: l7UIOfmI032960:
> to=<name.removed3 at oregonstate.edu>, delay=00:00:15, xdelay=00:00:00,
> mailer=esmtp, pri=155445, relay=relay.oregonstate.edu.
> [], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (Ok: queued as 90B39410794)
> Aug 30 18:25:03 innopacusers sm-mta[32960]: l7UIOfmJ032960:
> from=<webguru-bounces at innopacusers.org>, size=11445, class=-30,
> nrcpts=1, msgid=<47eed6660708301124u6bda99bbo92e00b4180ccad48 at mail.gmail.com>,
> proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA-v4, relay=localhost []
> Aug 30 18:25:04 innopacusers sm-mta[32976]: l7UIOfmJ032960:
> to=<name.removed4 at gmail.com>, delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01,
> mailer=esmtp, pri=95445, relay=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
> [], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (OK 1188498304 u62si752714pyb)
> "webguru" is the name of this test list. The strange thing is that
> we've been running for years with no problems. Yesterday, I was
> getting errors with invalid character sets that seemed to be gumming
> things up. I messed around with it to no avail, so I upgraded to the
> latest version. I cleared out everything in process just to make sure
> that nothing that hadn't been processed wasn't blocking everything
> else.
> When the problem was first reported, the logs looked OK to me, so I
> told them there was a a delivery problem at their end. Then calls and
> emails started pouring in, and I realized that I hadn't received any
> messages even though I use gmail with no filters and I usually get
> dozens of messages from one of our lists each day. I checked to make
> sure we're not blacklisted and that seemed OK too. The weird thing is
> that I can send email from the command line no problem, and
> administrative messages (subscribe, unsubscribe, etc) seem to get
> through just fine.
> kyle

Kyle Banerjee
Digital Services Program Manager
Orbis Cascade Alliance
banerjek at uoregon.edu / 541.359.9599

More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list