[Mailman-Users] Message received by mailman and archives, but won't deliver

Kyle Banerjee kyle.banerjee at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 07:29:57 CEST 2007

> Your SMTP delivery to sendmail is incredibly slow. This is your entire
> problem. Your out queue is hoplessly backlogged due to the time it is
> taking to process SMTP. You will never catch up.
>
> You need to make changes in sendmail. See
> <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?query=performance&querytype=simple&casefold=yes&req=search>,
> particularly 4.11 and 6.3, and make sure you are not doing DNS
> verifies on mail from Mailman.

Thanks for the tip -- this sounds like it's most likely what I need to
fix. I'll read up and see if I can't nail this.

> This doesn't look like a message from Mailman. A message from a mailman
> list will normally be from listname-bounces at example.com
> (webguru-bounces at innopacusers.org in this case). And, if this came
> from Mailman, there would be entries in Mailman's post and smtp logs.

Hmmm... It just so happens that this listname coincides with a former
alias that forwarded messages to the same people. The aliases file
looks OK, but I wonder if sendmail is getting the info from someplace
else. I need to test this process with a list that doesn't have this
issue.

> What Mailman version is this?

2.1.9

> OutgoingRunner picks up the oldest qfiles/out/*.pck file, gets the
> message and metadata from it and passes them to SMTPDirect.py for
> processing. When SMTPDirect.py returns, it picks up the next entry and
> repeats until there are no entries left. Then it sleeps for
> QRUNNER_SLEEP_TIME (default 1 second) and looks for any new entries.
>
> That's the basic flow assuming no errors or exceptions.

Thanks for the info -- this helps me understand what's going on better.

kyle