[Mailman-Users] Can't use newly created mailman list on Fedora 7

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Dec 3 17:35:34 CET 2007

"mailbox at stanfield.net" <vicki at stanfield.net> wrote:

>I recently installed mailman on my Fedora 7 box and when I created a
>test list and
>tried to email a message to it, my message gets returned with the
>following in it:
<snip>

><test-request at thepenguin.org>: Command died with status 1:
>    "/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request test". Command output:
>Traceback (most
>recent call last):   File "/usr/lib/mailman/scripts/request", line 64,
>in
><module>     main()   File "/usr/lib/mailman/scripts/request", line
>59, in main
>   _plaintext=1)   File
>    "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Switchboard.py", line 132, in
>enqueue fp =
>open(tmpfile, 'w') IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
>'/var/spool/mailman/commands/1196694091.
>16115+07cc7716bbb2ff1c11fbed56a95d1955412fd903.pck.tmp'
>
>Looks like the permissions are wrong on the location where Switchboard.
>py is trying
>to create the file. Is that correct? And where would that be?

/var/spool/mailman/commands/ just like it says.

Try running Mailman's 'bin/check_perms -f' as root to fix the
permissions. It looks like this is RedHat FHS compliant Mailman so
that would be /usr/lib/mailman/bin/check_perms.

If check_perms doesn't fix the problem, it might be a SeLinux issue.