[Mailman-Users] Customize Reject Messages?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Dec 3 19:03:02 CET 2007

Charles Marcus wrote:

>Is there a way to customize the rejection messages? Specifically, I want
>to customize the rejection message that a non-member who posts to a list
>that he is on the "List of non-member addresses whose postings should be
>automatically accepted."...
>
>Currently they get this, if the message is too big:

The reject notice for a too big post is independent of whether the
poster is a list member or in accept_these_nonmembers.

>"Your mail to 'Remnants' with the subject
>
>     testing too big
>
>Is being held until the list moderator can review it for approval.
>
>The reason it is being held:
>
>     Message body is too big: 2236114 bytes with a limit of 256 KB"
>
>I'd like to change it...

If all you want to change is the "Message body is too big: 2236114
bytes with a limit of 256 KB"" line, you have to change that by
editing the definition of reason_notice in the MessageTooBig class in
Mailman/Handlers/Hold.py

If you want to change the Hold notice in general for all held messages,
you can make a sitewide, domain-specific or list-specific version of
the postheld.txt template as discussed at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.048.htp>.

If you want to use a different template for only the 'too big' message,
that would require a significant code hack.