[Mailman-Users] Not able to receive email from list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Dec 3 19:41:23 CET 2007

Chris Arnold wrote:

>Logs are attached (i am not fond of the addresses being indexed. So
>Mark, if you can, please delete the attachments)

Too late :-(

In any case, the addresses there are all part of Message-IDs, and
robots will pick up the whole thing which is not a good address.

>Also, accroding to
>http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.078.htp step 2:
>#grep wrapper /etc/aliases
>#majordomo:             "|/usr/lib/majordomo/wrapper majordomo"
>#test:                  "|/usr/lib/majordomo/wrapper resend -l test
>test-outgoing"
>#test-request:          "|/usr/lib/majordomo/wrapper majordomo -l test"
>
># grep mailman /etc/aliases
>mailman:        root
>mailman-owner:  mailman
>
>It appears that there aren't any aliases.

If there aren't aliases, you couldn't send any mail TO mailman. You
have Postfix integration (MTA = 'Postfix') so your aliases are in
Mailman's data/aliases and data/virtual-mailman files.

>Step 6:
>shows 2 locked files. They are master-qrunner and
>master-qrunner.web.26733. These files are in /var/lib/mailman/locks

The master-qrunner locks are normal. I have updated the FAQ.

>And i feel the need to say 2 domains (electrichendrix.com and
>mytimewithgod.net). The list is on mytimewithgod.net and the mail server
>is on electrichendrix.com.

But they are the same box ...

smtp log:

>Dec 02 22:04:35 2007 (9051) <mailman.0.1196650515.7856.mailman at web.electrichendrix.com> smtp to mailman for 1 recips, completed in 453.140 seconds
<snip>

Every one of these log messages relates to a Mailman generated message
to a user or list owner. They all have Mailman generated Message-IDs
and are delivered to only one recipient. None of these are posts so we
are back to the "do posts even reach Mailman" question.

smtp-failure log:

>Dec 02 22:04:35 2007 (9051) Low level smtp error: (104, 'Connection reset by peer'), msgid: <mailman.0.1196650515.7856.mailman at web.electrichendrix.com>
>Dec 02 22:04:35 2007 (9051) delivery to administrator at mytimewithgod.net failed with code -1: (104, 'Connection reset by peer')

The above two messages relate to an error in delivery of only the first
of the smtp log messages.

>Dec 02 23:32:42 2007 (25746) Low level smtp error: (4, 'Interrupted system call'), msgid: <mailman.0.1196650515.7856.mailman at web.electrichendrix.com>

And this is a retry of the previous failure which also failed for a
different reason.

>Dec 02 23:41:18 2007 (25746) delivery to administrator at mytimewithgod.net failed with code -1: (4, 'Interrupted system call')

And this would appear to be the second entry along with the message
above except for the time stamp, Is this the full log?

It is not clear what these errors mean. If they are not persistent,
they may be the result of some manual intervention with the MTA. What
is in the maillog relating to these?