[Mailman-Users] Too many Bounce action notifications

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Dec 5 10:01:50 CET 2007

That would be called a "Joe Job", see <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_job>.

>  What you're describing sounds an awful lot like this.  Especially since you
>  have set up bounces for your list not to come to you.  It sounds like the
>  address that was spoofed was one used by MM, which would slow down the
>  system for sure.

If they were originally sent out with the appropriate
listname-bounces address, and the joe-job bounces were coming back to
the list and it was trying to process them, then yes -- this would
certainly explain a very heavy load on the system.

Otherwise, I'm not sure I have enough information to be able to make
any more comments on this particular problem.