[Mailman-Users] Stale bounce info not purged for many members

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Dec 7 07:23:07 CET 2007

David Buntin wrote:

>These lists get very little traffic. A month or so ago I changed the
>bounce_score_threshold and bounce_info_stale_after settings from 5.0 and 7
>to 2.0 and 30. Even though many more days than 30 have passed since the last
>bounce from almost all on the list, when the bounces happened today they
>were all removed for excessive bounces.

Because you lowered the threshold score. This is a known issue
mentioned several times on this list
<http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Amail.python.org++inurl%3Amailman++cron+disabled+stale+bounce>

>I checked the bounce log and found entries like these:
>
>   May 17 12:05:16 2007 (11340) listname: mail at addr current bounce score:
>4.0
>   Dec 06 09:00:17 2007 (13831) listname: mail at addr disabling due to bounce
>score 4.0 >= 2.0

Are you sure you lowered the threshold a month ago? Has cron/disabled
not been running? The issue with cron/disabled disables that member
the first time cron/disabled runs after the threshold is lowered to <=
4.

>As a band-aid, I have re-enabled all the members and changed the bounce
>settings back to 5.0 and 7. Even so, I'm afraid all members with a score of
>4.0 back in May will be unsubscribed again on the next bounce.

They won't and you didn't have to raise the threshold. When you
reenabled delivery, any bounce info was removed.

>Two questions:
>1. Why isn't stale bounce processing resetting the scores for these members?

If a fresh bounce had arrived, it would have reset the stale score, but
cron/disabled which primarily sends notices and unsubscribes disabled
members after their warnings are exhausted also checks to see if any
enabled members exceed the threshold (in case the threshold is
lowered).

The issue is cron/disabled doesn't check to see if the bounce info is
fresh.

>2. Is there a way I can force all the scores to be reset now?

You already did by reenabling the members.

Note: I'm going to fix cron/disabled for the 2.1.10 final release.