[Mailman-Users] How to stop spam emails

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Dec 7 09:28:40 CET 2007

Vinita Aggarwal wrote:

>I have a list in which anyone can post. "Hold the positing from non
>members".
>
>Now, I am getting everyday about 100s of spam emails in that list. Please
>advise how to deal with this?

It is best to start a new topic on a list by creating a new message,
not by replying to someone else's post. When you reply to an unrelated
post, your post gets threaded in the other topic in the archive and it
makes the archive hard to read.

Anyway, the answer to your question is install better spam filtering in
your MTA. The best thing is to identify spam at incoming SMTP time and
don't accept it in the first place. Next best is to accept it but
silently discard it in the MTA - do not bounce it to the claimed
sender as this is almost certainly forged.