[Mailman-Users] options to protect a mailing list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Dec 7 16:28:59 CET 2007

zbigniew szalbot wrote:

>I have a newsletter type mailing list. Messages from a specific address
>are automatically distributed to the list members. Messages from other
>addresses are discarded. Since the messages are sent at night, what are
>my options to automatically send them without risking that someone else
>will forge the FROM address and send spam or whatever to the list? How
>do you handle that? Human moderation is not possible because the
>messages should be sent around 3 a.m. at which time there's no one
>around to moderate.

Moderate everyone and post with an Approved: header. The header is

where password is the list admin or moderator password. Ideally, this
is an actual header, but it can also be the first non-blank line of
the first (or only) text/plain part of the body. I.e., if the message
is pure HTML, it can't be in the body, but if the message is
multipart/alternative it can.

The Approved header or body line is removed from the message. The
removal from the fancy alternative(s) of a multipart/alternative
message is not 100% reliable, so this works best with a true header.