[Mailman-Users] How to stop spam emails

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun Dec 9 21:11:00 CET 2007

On 12/9/07, Cyndi Norwitz wrote:

>>    I thought you earlier wrote that SpamAssassin *is* being run by the ISP,
>
>  Correct.
>
>>    but "can't be used" with Mailman.
>
>  No, that they haven't taken the steps to integrate it with MM yet and have
>  no immediate plans to do so.

They don't need to.  So long as they're running SpamAssassin on their
machines and using the standard SpamAssassin tagging feature, you can
take advantage of that.  You don't need any further help from them on
that subject.

>>    If SpamAssassin is installed, I don't understand why you can't use it
>>    with Mailman.
>
>  Is there a way *I* can without the ISP doing anything?

Yes.  Set up your spam filters under "Privacy options..." then "Spam filters".

>>    Lack of spam filtering is not just another feature that might not be
>>    provided in today's mail environment; it's a complete loss of service
>>    waiting to happen.  IMHO YMMV etc, but I strongly advise you be
>>    proactive on this.
>
>  I'm working on it.  They do have SA for email.

So long as the e-mail for your mailing lists are passing through the
same servers, then it doesn't matter.  At that point, e-mail is
e-mail and it doesn't really matter who the sender is or who the
recipient(s) is/are.